Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Changing Thoughts Supported by my RSS

While being brave and checking my news feeds this morning I came across a study centered around Blogs. The article, Study: More women, traditional media are blogging, interviews Shani Higgins - CEO of Technorati Media. A piece of the article went as far as calling Blogs "the center of the social media universe." While I don't think I would go that far, I would say my opinions about Blogs have changed through my RSS feed. I originally assumed that Blogs were mostly used by people who wanted to be heard. I thought that Blogs were started by the average Joe to author thinking, post creative moments, or share personal updates. Now I see that big businesses and corporations have their own place in the Blogging world. Higgins' article said it best, "They (Blogs) are bridging the gap between opinions and real time happenings."

I enjoy the Blogs that I am following and I am finding more and more Blogs as I go along. It seems that great Blogs think alike, and they link alike. I began trying to follow each Blog and kept adding them to my RSS reader because I was so impressed by the content or creativity. After an adding jag I closed down my RSS feed and went to bed. This morning I opened my browser to a feed busting with Blog news. I was instantly overwhelmed and decided to narrow down my following scope. Deleted but not lost forever, a light bulb! I added my list of Blogs to my Diigo account so that I can return to the great minds that will enhance my classroom and way of thinking. Thank you social media!

While my RSS reader has changed over the course of a week I know that it will continue to do so as I change in the world of technology. I still have a lot to learn about RSS readers, and I am looking forward to incorporating them into my teaching. I am thinking about creating an RSS reader to attach to my classroom website. In my own experiences I have found articles that I would love to share with parents, discretely of course. These articles impact my teaching, student learning, and my overall perspective. Why not spotlight them in the parent community?! Please follow me on my way and let me know of any great finds!


No comments: