Saturday, November 12, 2011

Clear Your Tracks

Just like walking through the snow or dragging mud onto your white carpet...you leave tracks online. The idea of my so called "digital footprint" being etched into my computer's memory is a scary thought. I am sure that even the safest computer user does not want to be spied on by their own device, such betrayal!

After watching an Atomic Learning workshop (Clearing your Internet Tracks on IE and Firefox) I have learned how to give myself some peace of mind online. Now I'm not saying that I frequent inappropriate sites, but I don't like the feeling of being tracked. All computers take snapshots of your usage every time you open Internet Explorer and browse the web. This is can be found in your History. To find this area go to your Tools and then Internet Options. You can delete cookies, files and change your settings to better protect yourself. This workshop inspired me to find this area in Safari. I'm an Apple lover, and on Safari a similar area can be found in the Safari drop down. Here you can empty your cache or change your online preferences. There is also a History tab that allows you to instantly clear your history.

The draw back brings me back to cookies from my previous post. Cookies can help you find what you are looking for and make your online experience a better fit for you as an individual. Deleting your cookies is like walking into your favorite store where nobody recognizes you anymore! Moreover, I learned that parents will want the History tab to go unnoticed by their young ones who are beginning to explore online. The tracks children make should be monitored and if anything, used as a teaching point for safe surfing. I will be passing this on to my "new parent" friends!

No comments: