Saturday, April 21, 2012

WPP Part D: Findings and Implications


Project Implementation
The Wicked Problem Project was quite wicked indeed.  The implementation of differentiated Dolch word spelling tests using technology was a challenging process.  I began by recording my voice for all 220 Dolch words in a PowerPoint presentation.  However, the audio files embedded in the presentation did not come through with my district’s outdated Microsoft software.  I hesitantly brought in my personal laptop for students to use while I found another way to accomplish my wicked solution.  Students who used my laptop were excited with the new technology, but I cautiously observed their testing.  Therefore, my plan to save time was not fully addressed. 

Evidence of Success
Although my time to meet with student groups was still tight throughout the day, I still found evidence of student success.    I noticed a few key details that led to higher test results while observing students who used the new technology.   Rather than focusing on a small group I narrowed my study to one student who consistently chose to use the testing technology for two weeks in a row.  The first grade student (Student L), scored 20% higher on his spelling test the second week compared to the weeks before.  The first week I tracked his spelling during a one on one testing environment and he received a 60%.  The second week he used the testing technology with my laptop and he scored 10% higher causing additional pretesting for the following week.  The second week Student L received an 80% resulting in a 20% gain from the one on one testing.  I attribute some of this success to his continual replaying of spelling words while he checked over his work.  When asked for feedback, the student said that he “liked it” (the testing technology) and he thought he “did good,” (words from a first grader).

A Different Approach
Given the chance to address this problem again I would make changes to my approach.  Knowing what I know now, I would have tested one audio file before recording the other 219 files.  I have also found that I need to make changes to my testing paper so that students can better track the words they are spelling from multiple spelling lists.  These changes have already taken place so that the project can be implemented as originally planned. 

WPP: Take 2
With my second wind, I have re-recorded all 220 Dolch words in ActivInspire, and I very politely asked my TOA to install ActivInspire on my student computers.  I am currently coaching students through the new testing procedure and I am altering the testing papers as mentioned above.  I am also in the process of recording an additional 220 challenge words that serve as the next step for students who spell all 220 Dolch words correctly.  I am very determined for this to work, or at the very least, give this testing technology a better advantage. 

A Word to the Wise
I would definitely give several tips to those who attempt a similar project in their own classrooms.  First and foremost, start small!  Try your plan, but scale down your scope until you are sure everything is compatible between home and school.  It was so very frustrating to learn that my hard work at home did not transfer to my school computers.  Secondly, I would open to a target audience.  In doing so, a small group can become familiar with the new technology before opening up the experience to everyone.  These new “experts” can then support new learners making an easier transition from old to new.  I studied one student to assess progress, but I opened up my new testing tool to the whole class.  This brought on some frustrations while I tried to explain what to do again and again.

No comments: