Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Web-Conferencing Participation

Vyew in my School Setting

The site Vyew is an excellent tool to use for web conferencing, and I am looking forward to incorporating many components into my own teaching practices. Setting up an account was easy to do, and establishing a room sends out a link to all who are invited. Once everyone is together, the fun begins! Files can be uploaded to pages within the room, and these same files can be highlighted, underlined, and referenced throughout the web conference.

Benefits and Pitfalls of Vyew in Comparison

There were many benefits to meeting in Vyew rather than a texting chat room. It was great to hear the voices of the other group members. I strongly feel that many misinterpretations come from email and text chats that can be avoided with audio contact. There was the choice to benefit from the use webcams that we did not take advantage of during our conference time. I would recommend this in a future conference so that group members don't speak over one another. I did find it confusing to keep track of where everyone was located within the conference. There is sync button that can be used to keep everyone aligned, but pushing this seemed quite distracting.

A Helpful Tip for Vyewers

Next time I would recommend filling out an agenda so that all group members could stay on task. This would also help keep everyone on the right page. I also suggest using the agenda (possibly a Google Doc) to take notes since the Comments in Vyew were hard to organize.

A Vyew from Class

I can see myself using this web conferencing tool in my school. I have a classroom of first graders, so web conferencing in class right now seems out of the question. However, I would use Vyew with my staff during professional development days. I especially enjoy the open access to the web conferencing room after the session has ended. I think it would be a great way for absent teachers to join from afar, or catch up when they return.

No comments: