Sunday, March 11, 2012

CEP 811 Final Reflection

What are some things that you have learned about effective teaching strategies when integrating technology?
Throughout this whole course I have tried to make sure that the technology I create can be implemented in my first grade classroom. Otherwise I am positive that I will lose the intended skill, and lose interest in the materials. However, successfully and effectively integrating a wide array of technology resources in first grade has been a challenge. I have learned that the teaching strategies must cover a wide range of pedagogical strategies to meet the needs of young learners. The UDL session was most useful in explaining the ways that teachers can reach a wide audience with a variety of features while eliminating barriers.

How did integrating web-based technologies help you think about and evaluate uses of technology?
I strongly feel that the integration and evaluation of web-based technologies has caused me to take a closer look at my own technology based teaching practices. I know that there is a place for WebQuests and Virtual Field Trips in the classroom. Yet, the resources must be meaningful in order to be effective. So many teachers integrate technology just to say it is there, or being used. This causes unsafe usage and mixed messages to young learners.

How have you met your own personal goals for learning about technology integration?
This course has really made me become independent in my own learning. I am getting better at finding answers to my questions without direct support. I am also eager to implement new technologies in my classroom on a trial basis. I am open to see what works, and what works best for me.

Do you have any new goals? What are your plans for reaching your new goals and your long-term goals after this course is over?
I am constantly motivated by technology and what continues to come my way through these courses. I have shown interest in teaching older grades so that I can really dig in deep. I also hope to learn the Ignite program at my school and attend technology conferences to push my own understandings. In addition to receiving my Technology Certification, I have committed to achieving my Masters in Educational Technology in the near future.

No comments: