Saturday, February 18, 2012

Wiki Posting

Using a Wiki is new to me, especially in first grade. But I am determined to use technology from my course work in my own classroom. Use it or lose it! I started with the first task of adding to Wikipedia. I played around in the sandbox to see what all I could do. I have to say, using Wikipedia is not as easy as I previously assumed. All of the coding involved to bold, link, and position words is exhausting. I would much rather select text and push a button. When I first arrived in Wikipedia I searched for my school district. There was a lot of information on my district, but not much in the way of particular schools. I felt uncomfortable adding details about my school to such a global site without much reason, so I linked to my school from the district page. I continued to play in the sandbox, but did not save anything else on my quest.

Wikipedia Entry
My next task was to create my own Wiki. Again, I am determined to use this for class purposes as well as course work. I received permission and a wiki site from my district rather than a free site that I would most likely not return to after the assignment. I also set up times to meet with the Technology Coordinator to learn more about how I can use my Wiki in class. In the mean time I started a quick home page and some technology related pages. The first page contains (or will soon contain) a list of iPad applications that we are loving in the classroom. The second page that links to my home page is a brief Twitter tutorial for a twitter account that I will be using in class to share with parents. This is of course a work in progress, but I am hoping to use my new Wiki in class with the addition of student sharing and parent input. Below are some screen shots of my Wiki and you can see more at...


Wiki iPad Page

Wiki Twitter Page

No comments: